Happy Easter Weekend everyone! Over here at LKA we are enjoying family time and allllll the Easter chocolate. To keep things moving on our Q + A series we have a very special next guest - local mom & ultimate style icon Jaynelle (instagram @weretheaustrias)
Jaynelle was gracious enough to take the time to answer some questions for us. Read the full Q + A below! She's got a beautiful instagram feed, a great sense of style and she's a mama! If you read right to the end she even gives us a bonus recipe for her favourite kid friendly dish!!
@weretheaustrias is a family lifestyle account posting about parenthood, motherhood, toddlerhood and everything in between. Sharing our "fun-ventures" one square at a time!
1. Please describe who you are!
Hi! I’m Jaynelle (27)! a full time mama and wife , part time student (retaking some courses to renew my teaching license (Early childhood educator) + also works as a style advisor at local retail store. I was born in the Philippines, moved here and grew up in Burnaby and now I live in New Westminster with by husband RJ and my baby boy Riley (3 years old)
2. Describe motherhood in one word
3. What is your fashion style for you & your son?
Fashion style for me ; minimalist + modern + casual ; mom jeans with oversize everything - t-shirt + blazer / cardigan or sweater + paired with either flat mules/sandals or runners are my go to pieces 👏🏼
Riley on the other hand is way stylish and cooler than me and my husband combined 😂 His wardrobe is a mix of modern street style meets vintage boho.
4. What are you binge watching in quarantine?
Just finished the new season of Ozark, forever watching Friends and How I Met Your Mother. If you want child appropriate ones, Riley is loving Magic School Bus right now and Disney + is our go to as well ! Making him watch all my childhood faves; Recess, Proud Family and Disney movie everyday.
5. Favourite dinner to make for the family?
Shrimp or chicken fried rice, its easy and you can pretty much toss any veggie in there total mom win win
(scroll to the bottom for Jaynelle's Shrimp Fried Rice recipe!)
6. Best budget/deal tip?
Check out your local thrift stores! if you look hard enough you’ll be surprised of what gems you could find 👏🏼 also D I Y !!! Pinterest is your best friend my friend ✨
7. Favourite cheap product?
food wise: tofu haha I love tofu.
product: probably my Deciem face products, its cheap but works wonders 👏🏼
8. Favourite luxury pricey product?
I don’t think I really have anything luxury or pricey product that I use at home 😱oh wait, does my vitruvi diffuser and oils counts? 😅
9. How do you keep your marriage alive? Any tips?
My husband works from home and does majority of the cooking so we try to balance things out eg. he cooks, I do the dishes vice versa. We try to go on dates from time to time, oh we drink on weekends, like a bottle of rum shots.. one on one 😂 and we do little home projects together.
One tip I could give is to always communicate with your significant other, letting him know how you feel and acknowledging his, I’m still learning everyday to do this but having an open communication no matter how difficult it is to say is one of the keys to a healthy relationship.
10. What is one thing your son loves to do during quarantine?
Screen time in a heart beat, the other day he said mama I love tv, hahah and don’t me wrong thats not all what we do here, obviously we limit that. Floor is lava is also his new favourite game to play! We do a lot of learning through play here being the teacher that I am 😅 some sensory activities like playing with play dough, waterbeads, sand, washing his toy cars! We also paint and colour pictures. We read books, a lot of books mostly before bed. I think my personal favourite is when we play pretend (especially when he pretends to be a chef and cooks for me) because it amazes me how their imagination works! oh and dance parties lots of dance parties at our household, we ask google to play us a song and we just dance, get silly and have fun.
I’m not strict on following schedules and routines, our day usually consists of all of those activities, sometimes one more than the other, sometimes none at all. And that's okay, because I’m learning to accept that thats the new normal right now. After all, we're all together; we're home, safe and healthy and that's all that matters at the end of the day!
Thanks for following along! Below is my easy, to-die-for Shrimp Fried Recipe!
Shrimp Fried Rice:
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil/ you can even use butter
- 1 bag of frozen cooked shrimp (you can substitute this with tofu or chicken breasts as well, but pan fry before adding it in)
- 1 cup frozen peas and diced carrots blend (I don’t thaw and use straight from the freezer)
- 1/2 cup corn (I use frozen straight from the freezer)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 chopped onions
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups cooked rice (I use white, long-grain or brown may be substituted. To save time use two 8.8-ounce pouches cooked and ready-to-serve rice)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- To a small pot, add water and boil the shrimp to thaw (its already cooked) set aside
- To a large non-stick skillet or wok, add the oils, garlic , onions and cook over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, and add the shrimp flipping halfway through
- Add the peas, carrots, corn, and cook for about 2 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften, stir intermittently.
- Push vegetables to one side of the skillet, add the eggs to the other side, and cook to scramble, stirring as necessary.
- Add the shrimp, rice, veggies, and evenly drizzle with soy sauce, evenly season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until shrimp is reheated through. Recipe is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days!
xoxo Jaynelle @weretheaustrias